29 April 2009

Unfinished

I've found a barely started placemat and nearly finished sweater in Mom's knitting bag. I was looking through it to try and find a ball of burgundy cotton yarn for a gift I'm knitting. I came across these two unfinished projects. Something in me just couldn't leave them that way. I've made a bit of progress on them both today.

Mom kept knitted placemats on hand for the kids. They loved using them whenever they ate at Grammy's house. She probably cast on another one for them to use. She was knitting it on a pair of beautiful wooden needles that I'd given her for Christmas. She loved my circular ones, but preferred straight needles herself. When the company who makes them came out with the straight knitting needles, I knew exactly what to order for her! She had only an inch done, so the difference in our knitting will probably not be too visible.

I have no idea who the sweater was meant for. I don't even remember ever seeing her knitting it. It's pretty, and has just some finishing on the hood and button band for me to do. There isn't enough yarn to make the sleeves, so I think I'll just leave it as a vest. It will still be pretty. I hope that it doesn't look too strange. Mom knit much tighter than I do, so she usually used larger needles than me.

I can't explain why, but I just feel the need to finish these projects for her. It seems so strange to be knitting Mom's projects with her needles. Today has been a "ton of bricks" day. I miss her so much. It's funny how things will go on, and suddenly, something small will bring it all rushing back. I'm learning to take things day by day. 'I just need strength for today, Lord. Just help me get through today, and we can deal with tomorrow when it comes. I just need grace for today.' While I pray for strength and grace, I'll pick up Mom's needles and keep knitting.

No comments: