14 May 2009

Grace, Grace, God’s Grace…

There have been a few inquiries about how my sister and I did on Mother's Day this year. I want to thank you all for your prayers on our behalf, they are truly appreciated. Actually, I ran away. The two of us went to see a movie together. (The new Star Trek, GREAT movie by the way…) We had a really good time, and I forgot that it was Mother's Day for a while.

It's true; it gets worse before it gets better. I'm waiting to get to the better part. There are still good days and bad. Lately, I've had a string of the bad ones. Still, the God of all comfort is there. The stars still shine in the sky. And life goes on. Grace for the day. He gets me through the day. We will tackle tomorrow when it comes.

In a lot of ways, Mom was one of my best friends. I talked to her so much. I visited her all of the time, and we did so much together. We laughed a lot. So many times I'd say, "You've got to see what I've been knitting," or, "I found a great recipe for you to try!"

I finally sewed the curtains for my dining room this week. I hung them up and I just love how they look. Mom was with me when I picked out the fabric for them, but I just never got around to making them until now. My first thought was to call her up and ask her to come see them. But I can't. And I really, really, miss that. I miss her.

There is a big, empty hole in my life. And lately, it's felt emptier than ever. Grace is all that sustains me. Standing here, utterly helpless, weak and worn out, God steps in, and fills the gap for me. When I can't go on, His strength shines through. My strength was exhausted long ago. Without grace, I'd be lost, in so many ways…

No comments: