14 January 2009

Seeing it All Again

School with Munchkin is interesting, fun and at times challenging! Of course, just being a Mom is all of that and so much more! We are making progress, and she is enjoying learning new things. I wonder how much of it Mr. Q will just pick up on his own while I work with Munchkin. Kids are amazing.

I finished knitting a nice, wool sweater for myself. With it being so chilly lately I figured that I could do with a warm layer to throw on. It came out quite nice, but the sleeves were four inches too long. So, I just cut off the excess and refinished the edges. Cutting was scary, but it turned out fine, and now it fits perfectly. I think that's one of the things that I like about knitting. Every project can be salvaged. Even if it means ripping the whole thing out and just using the yarn for something different! Anything can be fixed one way or another.

Yeah, I'm one of those people. A fixer. I like to fix things. If something is wrong, I have the irrepressible urge to FIX it. Problem is, I can't. I can't fix everything. I can't even fix most things! Leaving it up to God to take care of is a challenge for me. I keep wanting to tinker, wanting to get it done faster. (Can you tell that I'm not a patient person?)

I suppose that's one more thing I like about knitting. It's been compared to meditation for some. I guess it's true for me. It gives my fingers something to do, while leaving my mind free. Free to think, to imagine, and free to pray. I like to converse with God while I knit. I sometimes have a hard time just sitting still, and the repetitive motions help me to calm down, and just be. Once I calm down, then I can really pray, or even just meditate on whatever it is that God has been showing me lately.

It's interesting where God meets us. He meets us wherever we happen to be. That's so amazing to me. Explaining the concept that God is everywhere to my children has brought back some of the awe of the fact that God is right here, with me, right now. To them it is amazing that He is right here, even though we can't see Him. Seeing their amazement has brought back some of mine. Telling my children about Him has given me the chance to see it all through new eyes again. That's one of the gifts that God gives us when he gives us children. The chance to see it all again for the first time. The chance to remember meeting Him for the first time.

No comments: