25 November 2009

Ever Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope that all of you will be spending it with people you love.

I've got two pans of rolls in the oven right now. One pan will be going to a friend's house with us tomorrow. The house is starting to smell really good!

When I was a kid, we always had Thanksgiving dinner here at the house that I live in now. I have wonderful memories of those moments. I even remember looking out the window to a pond covered with ice and snow on Thanksgiving Day! We used to have snow by then pretty much every year. Last year, when we moved in right after Thanksgiving, I had planned to begin that tradition again and have dinner here at my house. But I had not planned for Mom not being here to spend it with us. In truth, I just don't have the heart to spend the day here, in a house filled with memories… reminders of what was, but never will be again.

Thankfully, friends of ours invited us to Thanksgiving dinner at their house. I will be fortunate enough to spend the day with not only my husband and children, but also with friends who really are like family to me. I am actually looking forward to tomorrow. My biggest concern is how my three little kids will behave!

In spite of the fact that I'm sitting here in tears, I can still find so much to be thankful for.

I'm thankful for what I had. I'm thankful that I had her for as long as I did. I'm thankful that she was here to hold her three grandchildren the day that each of them was born. I'm thankful for the tears, because it means that there were far more wonderful memories.

I'm thankful for what I have. I have a husband whom I love so much. I have three precious little ones who give me many reasons to laugh. I have a sister who is closer to me than ever before. I'm thankful for the other family and friends who I've been blessed beyond belief with.

I'm thankful for what is to come. I don't know what is in store, but I do know that I will be given the strength to endure it. And I've read the end of the story. I know that my Redeemer lives. I know that He's preparing a place just for me. Could anything we suffer in this short life compare to what is waiting for those of us who follow Him? If that isn't a reason to be thankful, than I don't know what is!

I don't understand how joy and sorrow can co-exist, but I know that they do. One of the mysteries of grace I suppose.

No comments: