19 June 2009

Apple Pie

I'm sitting here contemplating a hot cup of Earl Grey, and an ice cold slice of apple pie. I think it would go perfectly with the book I'm reading.

I decided on Tuesday to make an apple pie. That may sound unremarkable, but for me, it's not. I am TERRIBLE at apple pies. Apple crisp, not a problem! Homemade applesauce, easy! Apple dumplings, coming right up! Apple pie… not so much. I have absolutely no explanation for this phenomenon. Mom made the best apple pie. She'd make one, call me up, and say, "I've got a fresh apple pie up here that would go good with a cup of coffee." I'd sit at her table with a cup of coffee (or tea this past year or so) and we'd chat over our pie and steaming mugs. I miss her pie, but I miss the chats at her kitchen table even more. The day I married Aaron, Mom and I sat at her kitchen table before leaving the house, both with a hot cup of coffee in our hands. I can't remember what we said, but I remember how good it was to sit there, at the table with her.

My kiddos all have colds, but they are on the mend. Camo did not have an ear infection, and I'm very thankful for that! Aaron got hit the hardest this time around, and I seem to have a ridiculously mild case of it. Not that I'm complaining!

I've inherited a huge number of books that were Mom's. Lots of novels, and a good selection of books by Max Lucado. I've read a couple of chapters lately in his books that have been rather hard-hitting for me. One in particular about forgiveness. Forgiveness comes hard for me. I can be civil towards just about anyone, but simmering beneath the surface is still that bitterness. Bitterness has no place in the heart of a follower of Christ, I realize this. Forgiveness sounds easy, but practicing it, is VERY hard! In his book Just Like Jesus, Max Lucado speaks of Christ's forgiveness. He washed the feet of the very disciples who would abandon and deny Him in just a few short hours. He showed them mercy and love, even though He knew exactly what they would do. Did they deserve it? Certainly not! Do I? Definitely not. Yet He forgives me all the same. I'm the guilty party, He is not required to show me an ounce of mercy. But He does, freely forgiving me, just because I asked Him to. If I am to follow His example, how can I do any less? There is a quote in the book that I should keep in mind, "Relationships don't thrive because the guilty are punished but because the innocent are merciful." Even if it's not my fault, I still must extend the love, forgiveness and mercy that He has extended to me. Grace for the day, grace to forgive.

The apple pie? I took it with me to a friend's house, and after sampling it, we all decided that it was delicious. It's not Mom's apple pie, but it's a start…

No comments: